Carolina Fernandes Moreira de Carvalho - Research Interests and Education
O2 is one of the most important electron acceptors for enzymatic redox reactions in the environment. Some of these reactions contribute to the removal of anthropogenic pollutants from the environment or the biogeochemical cycling of elements. Measuring the isotope fractionation of O2 during these enzymatic reactions has the potential to determine the underlying O2 reduction mechanisms and therefore better comprehend pollutant transformation pathways and enzyme functions.
My PhD project focuses on systematically and experimentally expanding the known 18O-kinetic isotope effects (KIE) for important enzymatic reactions involving O2 in order to generate a comprehensive set of 18O-KIEs and evaluate the potential of using O2 isotope analysis as a tool to study environmental redox reactions.
- Apr 2020 - now: PhD candidate at the University of Basel, Switzerland, in the Department of Environmental Sciences (Group of Prof. Dr. Moritz Lehmann)
- Mar 2019 - Nov 2019: Research assistant at the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science (EAWAG)
- Jan 2018 - Oct 2018: Erasmus Studies at the University of Ghent, BE
- Sep 2016 - Oct 2018: Master of Science in Limnology and Oceanography at University of Amsterdam, NL
- Jan 2016 - Jul 2016: Erasmus studies at the university of Wageningen, NL
- Sep 2013 - Jul 2016: Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology at the University if Algarve, PT
Carolina Fernandes Moreira de Carvalho