Jana Tischer - Research Interests and Education
I have an overall interest in fields of science where interactions between the biosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere and geosphere from the molecular to the global level are involved. For instance, I care for microbiology, soil sciences, limnology, paleoclimatology and biogeochemistry.
In my PhD project, I am studying biogeochemical N-cycling processes in the water column of permanently stratified lakes. As final goal, I want to gain further insights into N-removal processes, which counteract the anthropogenic N-pollution, as well as the importance of different production mechanisms of the potent greenhouse gas N2O.
In the North Basin of Lake Lugano (Switzerland), I investigate the seasonal dynamics, environmental controls, microbial communities, and isotope fingerprints of organotrophic and S-dependent denitrification. In another lake system, the iron-rich Lake La Cruz (Spain), I aim to identify all present microbial and abiotic N2O production mechanisms.
- 2017: GeoBiology 2017 – International summer course, California Institute of Technology
- Since 2014: PhD candidate at the University of Basel, Switzerland, Aquatic and Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry, in the Group of Moritz Lehmann
- 2010 – 2014: Master of Science in Biogeosciences at Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany, Thesis on paleoclimatology at Max-Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, in the group of Gerd Gleixner
- 2011 – 2012: Erasmus Studies at University Lund, Sweden
- 2007 – 2010: Bachelor of Science in Biogeosciences at Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany, thesis on microbiology in the group of Erika Kothe
Oswald, K., Jegge, C., Tischer, J., Berg, J., Brand, A., Miracle, M.R., Soria, X., Vicente, E., Lehmann, M.F., Zopfi, J. and Schubert, C.J. (2016). Methanotrophy under Versatile Conditions in the Water Column of the Ferruginous Meromictic Lake La Cruz (Spain). Frontiers in Microbiology 7(1762).
Fischer, C., Tischer, J., Roscher, C., Eisenhauer, N., Ravenek, J., Gleixner, G., Attinger, S., Jensen, B., De Kroon, H., Mommer, L., Hildebrandt, A. (2015). Plant species diversity affects soil hydraulic properties in an experimental grassland by mediating soil properties. Plant and Soil 397(1).