Prof. Dr. Moritz LehmannDepartementsleiter
I am interested in the research fields of Aquatic Biogeochemistry, Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry, organic geochemistry, microbial ecology and (paleo-)limnology.
Education and Professional Experience
- Since 2017: Full Professor, Department for Environmental Science, University of Basel
- 2018: Cox Visiting Professor, Department of Earth Systems Science, Stanford University
- 2014-2017: Dean of Research at the Faculty of Science at the University of Basel
- 2010-2016: Associate Professor, Department for Environmental Science, University of Basel
- 2007-2010: Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department for Environmental Science, University of Basel
- 2004-2007: Assistant Professor (tenure-track), Department of Earth and Atmospheric Science, Université de Québec à Montréal, Center for Research in Geochemistry and Geodynamics (GEOTOP-UQAMMcGill), Montréal, Canada.
- 2003 - 2004: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Princeton, USA.
- 2002: Ph.D. in Environmental Geochemistry/Stable Isotope Geochemistry, Department of Earth Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland.
Wong, W.W., M.F. Lehmann, T. Kuhn, C. Frame, S. C. Poh, I. Cartwright, P. Cook (2020). Nitrogen and oxygen isotopomeric constraints on the sources of nitrous oxide and the role of submarine groundwater discharge in a temperate eutrophic salt-wedge estuary. Limnology and Oceanography; doi.org/10.1002/lno.11664
Visser, A.-N., S.D. Wankel, P. A. Niklaus, J.M. Byrne, A.A. Kappler, M.F. Lehmann (2020). Impact of reactive surfaces on the abiotic reaction between nitrite and ferrous iron and associated nitrogen and oxygen isotope dynamics. Biogeosciences, 17, 4355–4374, 2020; doi.org/10.5194/bg-17-4355-2020
Lehmann, M.F., Carstens, D., A. Deek, M. McCarthy, C. J. Schubert, and J. Zopfi, (2020). Amino acid and amino sugar compositional changes during in vitro degradation of algal organic matter indicate rapid bacterial re-synthesis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, Vol. 283, 67-84;doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2020.05.025
Yu, L., E. Harris, D. Lewicka-Szczebak, M. Barthel, M.R.A. Blomberg, S.J. Harris, M.S. Johnson, M.F. Lehmann, J. Liisberg, C. Müller, N. Ostrom, J. Six, S. Toyoda, N. Yoshida, J. Mohn (2020). What can we learn from N2O isotope data? Analytics, processes and modelling. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, doi.org/10.1002/rcm.8858
Chang, Y., Huang, R.-J., Ge, X., Huang, X., Zou, Z., Liu, X., and M. F. Lehmann (2020). Puzzling haze events in China during the coronavirus (COVID-19) shutdown. Geophysical Research Letters, 47, e2020GL088533. doi.org/10.1029/2020GL088533
Su, G., J. Zopfi, H. Yao, L. Steinle, H. Niemann, M. F. Lehmann (2020). Manganese/iron-supported sulfate-dependent anaerobic oxidation of methane by archaea in lake sediments. Limnology and Oceanography; 65, 2020, 863–875, https://doi.org/10.1002/lno.11354